7. Lemon Blueberry Muesli Muffins
These sensational low-sugar muffins, full of nuts and seeds, are perfect as a healthy option for breakfast, but equally delicious as a healthy snack. They are made with xylitol – a sweetener that raises blood sugar levels less than regular sugar – and wholemeal flour, which is a slow releasing carbohydrate that helps to balance blood sugar. Whole grains are also rich in soluble fibre and contain plenty of B-vitamins, which are important for producing healthy eggs and sperm. Using frozen blueberries creates a colder batter but fresh blueberries can also be used.
- 4 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- 150g/5½oz/1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 115g/4oz/scant 1 cup low-sugar muesli
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 75g/2½oz/heaped cup xylitol
- 3 eggs
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 125ml/4fl oz/½ cup semi-skimmed milk or milk alternative
- 115g/4oz/¾ cup frozen blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 and line eight holes of a muffin tin with paper cases.
- Put the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and muesli in a large mixing bowl.
- Put the remaining ingredients, except the blueberries, into a food processor or blender and process until smooth. Pour into the flour mixture and beat well to form a thick batter, then gently stir in the blueberries.
- Spoon the mixture evenly into the paper cases and bake for 15–20 minutes until golden brown and firm on top. Leave to cool in the tins for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
8. Healthy Blueberry Waffle
This waffle is easy on the digestive system for mamas with morning sickness, while still keeping it super healthy.
- 1/2 cup organic old fashioned rolled oats
- pinch of sea salt
- 2 tsp turbinado sugar or raw honey, organic
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cage free organic egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest (optional)
- 2 TBS organic milk (I use whole)
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil or melted butter
- 1/2 cup organic frozen blueberries
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup (optional)
- Preheat a griddle for a pancake or waffle iron for a waffle.
- Add oats, salt, sugar or honey, and baking powder to a blender and pulse until mixed. Add egg, vanilla, lemon zest, milk, and oil or butter to the mixture and blend for 30 seconds or until well-incorporated. Allow batter to sit for 8-10 minutes.
- Add batter to waffle iron or griddle and cook until golden brown.
- To make topping, microwave the blueberries in a bowl for 1 minute, or until berries are blistered and bubbling. Top as is, or add the tsp of maple syrup to the blueberries and stir.
- You can add the oats to the batter last and just stir for a more textured waffle or pancake.
This is the perfect recipe for moms in the first trimester who are barely able to stomach anything other than carbs.