7. Berry Tartlets with Jumbleberry Jam
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 260-g pkg cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 egg, divided
- 1 1/2 cups jumbleberry jam
- coarse sugar, optional
- WHIRL flour, butter and salt in a food processor until coarse crumbs form. Add cream cheese and egg yolk. Pulse just until dough starts to form a ball. Divide dough into 2 portions. Shape each into a flat disc, then cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 1/2 hours.
- PREHEAT oven to 375F. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough into a 12 × 12-in. square, about 1/4 in. thick. Cut into 24 3-in. circles. Gently push rounds into a 24-cup mini- muffin pan, pressing along the bottom, then up the sides until pastry is slightly over the rim. Gather and re-roll dough scraps to 1/4 in. thick. Cut into 1-in. stars (or other shapes) using a cutter.
- FILL each dough cup with 2 tsp jam. Lay star cut-outs on jam. Brush edges and stars with reserved egg white, then sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- BAKE in centre of oven until tops are brown, 25 to 30 min. Let stand 10 min, then remove tarts from pan.
8. Blueberry Clafoutis
- 2 tsp butter, melted
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 pint blueberries, about 1 cup
- 3 eggs
- 2/3 cup 35% cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp orange liqueur
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- icing sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 400F. Brush 6 4-in. ramekins with butter and dust with 1 tbsp granulated sugar. Divide blueberries among ramekins. Place ramekins on a baking sheet.
- Whisk eggs until frothy in a medium bowl. Whisk in 1/4 cup sugar, cream, milk and liqueur. Gently whisk in flour until just combined. Do not overmix. Scrape batter evenly over berries.
- Bake in centre of oven until set but jiggly when gently shaken, about 20 min. Let stand 10 min. Serve warm, dusted with icing sugar.